Friday, January 30, 2009

Working Hours

It has occurred to me as I am sitting here at work that I really shouldn't have been at all upset by the fact that I thought I was only working until 6 o'clock tonight, but found out right before my shift that I was in fact working until 8 o'clock, because in fact, God is just taking care of me.

For the last few weeks or so, I have been a little worried about the fact that I have not been getting very many hours at work. Quite honestly I have been fretting about that fact, and had even seriously considered looking for another job to supplement the hours. I wasn't very thrilled by the idea of a second job, and decided that I would just stick it out a while longer before really considering it.

So last Sunday as I was making out my tithe, I was very seriously considering the possibility of only doing part of my tithe right now, and making up for it later (since I wasn't sure that I would really be getting paid much in the near future). However, I decided that I needed to have faith that He would provide all my needs, so I decided to write the check for the full amount.

I had a tutoring appointment the next morning, and while very sad about the time (9am) because I had stayed up late the night before, I recognized that at least I was getting some time, and tried to be happy. When I got to work I discovered that I had two more appointments for that afternoon that I hadn't known about the day before. To me it seemed apparent that He was watching out for me.

A few weeks ago one of my co-workers asked me to cover a Friday night shift (tonight), and a Saturday morning shift (tomorrow) which I ageed to. So all day today I have known that I had a few hours of work tonight and tomorrow. Shortly before the shift tonight I became aware that the shift was actually for two hours longer than I thought.
Here is where I started to lose sight of God's blessing. Rather than recognize that God was providing me two more hours of work (on a night when I had no other plans), I started to be a little upset that I would have to be here until 8. Why? I have no idea.

During the last few hours of my shift I have thought about it. Sometimes I am so dumb. I ask God to deal with the situation of me not having work hours. I tell him that I am going to trust Him to provide. And then when He does, without even realizing His blessing I start to be upset that my "free time" is being taken from me... when normally it would be a bummer that I have so much free time. God provided for me. He even provided me extra work hours during a time when all of my friends, the people that I would be spending time with anyway, are busy. They are all doing other things right now. I would be sitting at home alone, likely doing nothing, but instead I am at work getting more hours... which I asked Him for anyway.

I don't know if this post really makes any sense or not. But for me it is important to realize that God is taking care of me. I would see it better if I would open my eyes.

I was just struck by a thought. How many other blessings might I be missing because I'm not looking?

2 comments:

  1. I love reading testimonials like this because it makes me think about my answer to the very question you pose at the end of the blog: What blessing AM I missing because I'm not looking? But I think the important key to remember in thinking about the answer to this question, is to not get upset by the fact that we weren't looking before, but instead be thrilled with be looking for new opportunities to see God's amazing ability to provide. I definitely need to work on that more! Yikes. :D I'm so glad God is providing work hours for you, I know how much you've needed/wanted them. I love you Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMY!!! Hi there. I just started on this blog thing and i found you on Bess's. So I hope your doing really good and schools going great for you. BTW, i really enjoyed this post. it's soooo true. you inspired me to write up a blog for our youth's blog (act29youth). You had me thinking about what blessing I might be missing out on, so thanks for that! Any way, hope to hear from you soon.

    Abby

    ReplyDelete