Saturday, March 30, 2013

I Can Make that SO MUCH Better!

I made a delicious breakfast this morning. I may or may not have ripped the idea off of a certain fast food giant... but really, THEY
did not create the concept of the breakfast sandwich... and mine tasted 10,000 times better than what you'd get there... even if I say so myself!

This is a super easy recipe. Seriously, you're going to read it and be like "why was a post needed for this?" but bear with me.
Because it was grub! Just ask my husband. He's a very reliable source on yummy things... if not a little bit biased when it comes to my cooking, which is very wise of him... since he does have to live with me at the end of the day! ;)

Anyway...

Bacon, Egg and Cheese Biscuit-wich




Beautiful, right!?

Here is what you're going to need

Thick Cut Bacon (I used 4 slices, cut in half)
Eggs (1 for each sandwich)
Biscuits (1 for each sandwich - I used Pillsbury Grands! Homestyle-Southern Style; the nice big ones)
Cheese (1 slice for each sandwich - I used Cheddar)
Pam - or other non-stick pan spray... depending on how good your non-stick pan is.

First step, Bake your biscuits. I suppose you could make your own biscuits, but I had some of the handy pop-open-the-can kind left over from yesterday, so I just used those. If you are going to use the canned biscuits, follow the directions on the can. Just make sure they're big enough to make a nice sandwich.

Put your bacon slices on a cookie sheet (I cover mine in foil, so the clean-up is easier, and the sticky bacon grease isn't such a problem on my lovely baking sheets) Set oven to 400 Degrees Farenheit, and place cookie sheet with bacon in (I just add a few minutes of cooking time when I start with a cold oven) Set timer for 16-20 minutes... I cook for around 18 usually. It really depends on how chewy/crispy you like your bacon. Just try not to use your smoke alarm as a timer... YEAH... When finished cooking, place on a plate with paper towels to drain off the fat. Set aside.

Fry your eggs, or if you like them over-medium... whatever you like. (I really hope you know how to fry an egg... but just in case here's the basic idea: Non-stick pan, medium heat. Add a little bit of pan spray if you like. Crack one egg into the pan. Let cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, until bottom is firm, slide spatula/turner under the egg. Flip over the egg. Cook for another 30 seconds or so... I turn off the heat while the second side "sets" ... You will need to adjust cook times for your preferred egg texture.)

Cut your biscuit in half. Add a bit of butter... place in a hot non-stick pan (can be the one you just cooked your eggs in if you like to re-use and minimize dishes, which I do, considering there's no dishwasher in this place... unless you count Me!) Place butter side down on the pan, allow the biscuit to grill, or fry, or whatever you'd call it... until it's a little crispy, and brown around the edges.

Now, you've got your pieces. Put the bottom half of the biscuit on a plate. Place your fried egg on top of the bottom biscuit. Place 3 half strips of bacon side by side (if you like more bacon, by all means... add more!) Place your slice of cheese on top of the bacon. Place the top half of your delicious grilled biscuit on top of the cheese. Dig in!! SO much yummier than those fast food ones...

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Looks delicious! You should try making McGriddles from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! You're right! I should!!

    ReplyDelete